Thursday, March 24, 2011

Going to Market

As someone who loathes the grocery store, it pains me somewhat to think that in the 1950's, June and other hip housewives like her may have frequented the grocery store or "market" several times a week. Or even...every...day.

I'm sorry ladies, but I just can't bring myself to get to the grocery store every day. Is that cheating on my 50's way of living? Possibly. But have you seen what the cost of gas is these days? Holy smokes, we gotta conserve! So I'm saying it's not cheating...it's being frugal. And that is something every good 50's housewife would approve of.

Speaking of frugality, I will share some of Good Housekeeping's Guide to Successful Home Management's "Guide to Wise Eating." This section gives a helpful list of dos and don'ts for making the most of your money and time at the supermarket.

Read your local newspaper for the best food buys - you will find the market reports an excellent guide.

I have preceeded many a trip to the grocery store hunched over a weekly ad, making my list from what is on sale, as my mom has often advised. It does save money, but often I feel like I'm buying stuff we really don't want or need just because it's on sale. A definite no-no. Case in point, I once brought home pomegranates which ended up going bad before we could eat them because I truly had no idea how to eat them. I know, I know, I could've Googled...but it just slipped my mind. All I'm saying is, sometimes the weekly flyer is helpful. And sometimes it just leads to uneaten produce. Proceed with caution.

Don't wait until you get to market to plan your meals. Plan them at least a day ahead, taking into account foods on hand in refrigerator.

This, I can do. I actually exceed this pointer, seeing as how I plan my meals for the week and thus cut my trips to the store tremendously. It also does cut down waste because often, I have 7 dinners planned for the week, but when I compare my plan with our family calendar (everything we have going on for the week), I often see a couple of nights where we're busy and will not have time for a huge, sit down dinner. I know, I know...not very 50's like. But I like to consider myself a 50's woman in a 2000's world. Plus, it keeps our grocery bill down.

Prepare a businesslike marketing list. Avoid buying more than the family will eat by checking your recipe and amounts to buy.

And what, praytell makes a list businesslike? Perhaps organizing the list into sections of the store. Listing the produce all together, the meat, etc. This is something I will do from now on - I probably do waste time by scouring my list over and over, trying to read my quickly scribbled notes and checking many times to see if I missed something. Sometimes I have to backtrack in the store and go down aisles I've already been down to pick up something I forgot the first time. It's dawning on me as I write this that maybe I would hate the grocery store less (notice I didn't say like it more) if I was a little more methodical about my marketing.

It is best to go to market to buy perishables. Then you can check on quality, watch for bargins, and keep up to date on new foods.

Um...not to sound dumb, but...where else would I go to buy perishables? I'm not sure what other options were available in the 50's...the farm, perhaps? Do inform if you have insight where I lack it. And stop laughing at me (mom!).

Read descriptive labels on foods in cans, jars, and packages for information on size, amount, variety, style, number of servings, kind of syrup, uses, etc. When you find a brand you like, remember the name.

Jif. That's a brand my husband likes and he won't eat any other brand of peanut butter. I actually called him from Costco the other day and told him they didn't have Jif, they have Skippy, and would it be ok to get that instead. No, he informed me. It would not. But it just goes to show you that you have to cater every tip and bit of advice to your family. If I buy Skippy just because it's on sale and it sits in our cabinets forever, that's not really a deal, now is it? Just ask those poor, untouched pomegranates. (P.S. I did look in the Joy of Cooking for how to eat those things, and did not come away enlightened).

Often you can save by purchasing a large rather than a small package of a product you use often and know will keep well.

I know I just mentioned it, but I will just take a moment to say: Hello, Costco! I'm borderline obsessed with Costco. For non-perishables especially their deals can't be beat. And in our tiny house, it's hard to find space sometimes for everything, but it's worth having less counter space to have the DEALS. I go in there and I marvel OUT LOUD (nerd alert!) at the savings there vs. the regular grocery store or drugstore. Do I have to live with the mockery of friends and family who come to visit and can't find anything in our fridge because the ginormous mayo (my husband's) and zillions of Vitamin Waters are in the way? Yes. Again, it's worth it.

Finally, get the full weight of a product for your money. Ask the price per pound, watch the scale while purchases are being weighed, and be sure to count your change.

I can honestly say I've never used a scale in the grocery store. I know my mom has told me tales of yesteryear when store employees would be on hand in the produce section to weigh everything out for customers. Now you're pretty much on your own. Even in the deli and at the seafood counter you have to watch the scale to make sure they're giving you the correct amount. It would be nice if there was a little more man-power in the stores the way there was in the 50's. It's like stores actually cared about their customers and what families were consuming.

The last bit of advice holds true in any era, and I remember my mom giving the same advice after realizing an employee mistake one time: always count your change and pay attention. No one cares about your money more than you do.



7 comments:

  1. Alot of 1950s housewives did NOT go to the store every day - the store came to them. I remember our city had milkmen and breadmenn who came as often as ordered with fresh milk, cream, cottage cheese, bread, rolls. In the summer a vegetable bus (a converted school bus) drove through the neighborhoods and housewives could shop from the bus for fresh produce. And (get this) most groceries delivered! My mom would call in her grocery list to the store and it would be delivered later that day. No heading off to the store with three children in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - So now you know their secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have met her, Sherry! For many reasons, but I feel like I could have learned a lot from her! Thanks for making me feel better about life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, I remember the milk man...In fact my mother tells of a story when I was around 3. My father always came in the house through the back door. One morning, I was awake much earlier than usually and the milkman came. He would open the back door and leave the milk on the floor..I heard the door open and I ran, calling...."Daddy! Daddy! and then stopped dead in my tracks...shocked to see that it wasn't Daddy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the MILKMAN is your father!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A women went to the grocery store more than once a week for a number of reasons. Often there was only one car and Dad took it to work so the Mom had to walk to the store. There were no super markets as we know them so aside from the milkmen etc. she had to go a butcher and the bakery for many items. Most families did not have a home freezer and fridges were a lot smaller so if you had a large family you ran out of meals faster. There was very little bulk items and certainly no Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the comments! I really enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete