Friday, March 25, 2011

The Times, They Are A-Changing

I've been posting a little bit about my mom recently so I think now would be a good time to just admit it: I am her. Which is fine, because she's one of my absolute best friends and one of the people I look up to most in the world. But there's one thing about both of us that probably drives our husbands nuts. Okay, there's probably more than one, but only one is relevant right now. We tend to freak out a bit when company is coming. Well, she may freak out a bit. I go completely psycho. Seriously, just ask my husband.

The thing is, I really like having people over. I would much prefer people to come and be entertained at my house than me have to go elsewhere for an evening (and either find a babysitter or bring 6,000 lbs. of baby gear with us). I just also really like things to be perfect when people come over. Thanks, Mom.

But I'm going to venture a guess here: that's probably how my grandma was. The 50's housewife was always prepared, everything was always in its place, and the meals were always perfect. At least, that's what my literature suggests. So did 50's housewives actually like to entertain at home, or was it an obligation and a hassle more than anything else?

Carolyn Coggins, author of Successful Entertaining at Home writes:

Liking to have company is like being one of those characters who bet on the races. You simply can't help yourself.

I wish I had her attitude (though not her apparent gambling problem)! I do really like to have company, but the stress before they arrive and the mess they leave behind are just not my cup of tea. Still, I happily accept them to be able to hang out with my friends and feel like I, too, can throw a decent meal together for the ones I love. So how do I get to that place where it either a) becomes second nature to entertain fuss-free or b) I just stop caring about what people think about me so much!

In this changing world, elegance, formality, and well-staffed homes are no more our way of life than grandfather's surrey with the fringe on top. Instead, informal living and informal entertaining have forced their way into our existence.

First, I must say I am impressed with the Oklahoma! song lyric used there. Second, I guess the informal has been slowly creeping in since "the help" has been slowly creeping out. So what, exactly, does informal entertaining mean? Paper plates and cups? I confess I almost reached for them tonight because we had 5 friends over for dinner. However, I thought of June and got the regular ones. Now they are still sitting in my kitchen sink waiting to be washed. And I think...June, when did you really become a voice in my head? And how long will you be staying? And would you like to come clean my kitchen?

Informality at its best requires more common sense than servants. There always has been a dearth of thinkers, so if you have a first-class, usable mind, put it to work on your home.

My goal is informality with no stress. Think it's achievable? Ms. Coggins certainly thinks it is within the realm of possibility. I'm going to borrow her optimism and try to figure this out. Just you wait and see. Or if not, at least I'll have some fun adventures to blog about in the near future. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I love entertaining too! Joe was making fun of me because I picked out all of the "entertaining" like tools at Crate and Barrel for our gift registry. Who doesn't want to eat cheese off of a 50 dollar cheese board??? Yah right! I do agree and stress out too through. Must run in the family. I am trying to keep my inner bride-zilla in at all times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even people who have their parties catered stress out. I think the trick is to get friends or family involved. They have a fresh pair of eyes and can help serve and make drinks. They also keep you laughing when things go wrong. My brother is still making me laugh about a dinner I did for my husband's birthday over 40 yrs ago. The potato casserole fell out of the oven up-side down. We scooped it up and served it. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete