Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Behind Every Good Man...

I was watching an episode of Father Knows Best for blog research today, and I was struck by the interactions between the family members, particularly between Margaret, the mother, and Jim, Father himself. When I think of 50's family dynamics, I think of things just as the title of the show suggests: Father knows best. For some reason, that gives the impression that Mother should silently agree with whatever dear Father says.

I was thrilled to see that Margaret Anderson (bless her sweet heart) had a mind of her own. The episode I watched (on Hulu - a gift of the new millennium and something they definitely did without in the 50's!) was episode 3 of the entire series, entitled "The Motor Scooter." In this episode, Jim wants desperately to gift his teenage son Bud with a motor scooter, but Margaret disapproves. She fears Bud isn't responsible enough and/or he will get in an accident. Sounds like a typical mother from any decade to me!

Margaret, donning her pearls and baking (actually, burning) cornbread - perhaps there's hope for me yet! - puts her foot down on the matter of the motor scooter right away. Her first response is, "I'm not going to let you give it to him, Jim!"

I was astounded by the "I'm not going to let you." Father Knows Best portrays the epitome of 50's family life, and here is a wife forbidding her husband to do something. She later states (after more of Jim's pleading) "The appeal is denied, the answer is no." And although Jim won't give up the fight easily, he actually does end up listening to her. And what's more....he obeys!

As a mother (not yet of a teenager, thank God!), I can see exactly where Margaret is coming from. We are, the moment we become mothers, worriers. Creeping in to check on the baby who sleeps through the night for the first time - are they still breathing? Following 2 inches behind them with arms outstretched as they crawl around the house, ever ready to keep their head from hitting the floor or to keep the cat food out of their mouth. I can only imagine it gets worse when they start driving...and become less and less easy to follow!

Though my career as a parent is just beginning, I can also plainly see that both parents have to be on the same team. Sure there are always going to be times when parents disagree - one is a little more lenient about some things, the other a bit more strict. But presenting a united front to the kids is important. And I do like that, for the most part, that's how the Andersons operate. They keep the motor scooter a secret from Bud until they decide together that it's best if he doesn't have it.

I won't spoil the ending for you, in case you want to scoot (pun intended) over to Hulu to watch the episode yourself, but I just had to comment on the fact that even in the 50's mothers had a voice. It wasn't just "Father Knows Best;" it was also "Behind Every Good Man...!"

No comments:

Post a Comment