Thursday, May 12, 2011

Shad NO Ring

Ugggh, I hate to start this post by complaining, but I feel I'm in a real bind here. I absolutely love all of my 50's books on entertaining and homekeeping...except for one. The cookbook. Thoughts for Food seemed like it would be a worthwhile purchase many months ago when I was starting my blog. It even came recommended by name from Amy Vanderbilt herself. But aside from my one foray into 50's cuisine, I just can't bring myself to make anything else from this book!

I'm having friends over tonight for a meeting and I thought, What a lovely way to serve them - I will plan a full 50's spread of food for them to enjoy! But as I flip through the pages of my well-worn edition of Thoughts for Food, I can't find a single menu that is entirely appealing or something I could truly accomplish before 7:30 pm when they arrive. It's now 2:19 pm. Think I'm joking?? Here's one of the menus I was contemplating, under the section titled "Guests for Sunday Night Supper":

Shad Roe Ring
Ripe Olive Roll
Cold Turkey
Assorted Cold Cuts
Cranberry Jelly
Celery Root Salad
Cheese Mixture
Crackers
Bread
Fruit Thais
Chocolate Coconut Cookies
Lebkuchen
Coffee

(p.324)

HOLY HELP ME! I mean, I look at this menu and at first I'm happy because it's essentially cold cuts with bread and cheese and cookies. Seems manageable at first glance. However, I then look at some of the recipes and my very next thought is to chuck this cookbook out the window!

First, there's the issue of Shad Roe. I believe I discussed Shad Roe in a previous post - something to the effect of: WHAT IS SHAD? WHY WOULD PEOPLE WANT TO EAT ITS ROE? WHERE WOULD ONE ACQUIRE SAID SHAD IF THEY DID? AND IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY, WHY MUST IT ALWAYS BE IN A RING?!

To further my point, the recipe for Shad Roe Ring is as follows:

1 1/2 to 2 shad roe
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 pints cream, whipped
salt, pepper

Parboil roe and put through ricer. Add yolks and seasonings; fold in stiffly beaten whites and cream. Put in buttered and floured ring, cover and set in a pan of hot water. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for one half hour (p. 324).

I rest my case. Well, not entirely.

Second, "Cheese mixture" doesn't sound all that appealing. Especially when Aloutte makes a lovely cheese dip for crackers that I'm sure doesn't involve "Pabstette cheese," as the recipe calls for...which again...I don't know what that is.

Third, "Lebkuchen," I don't know what that is either, but if a guest were to say something like, "My, this is delicious, what do you call it?" I would have to think very quickly on the fly, because I clearly do not know how to pronounce Lebkuchen! I think "Special Dessert" would scare them, and I'm not sure I'm quick enough on my feet to think of something else between now and then. And again, I'll remind you of the time. It's 2:26 pm.

With all that being said, I'm contemplating leaving Thoughts for Food out of my rotation of 50's books to post on. All I ever do is get frustrated and complain about the recipes in it. I hate to say it, but this could possibly be the one time Amy has led me astray. I'd love to find another 50's cookbook to use - something a little more every day...and I hate to say it, but truly...something a little more modern day. If any of you have thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears! Until then, it's ADIOS to Thoughts for Food!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're back!! FINALLY! and EW, what IS a SHAD? GROSS!!!

    ReplyDelete