Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our Own Ultimate

As I was skimming around Amy Vanderbilt's Guide to Gracious Living today, I was struck by her decision to devote an entire section to "familiar words and phrases from other languages." It caught me off guard, because although the title of her (in my opinion fabulous) book lends itself to be a guide to everyday living, I wasn't sure how having a base knowledge in other languages (especially Latin, which we all know is a dead language) is something anyone (let alone a 50's housewife) would utilize every day. Or even once a week, for that matter.
But even as I type this, I'm having an ah-ha! moment, because therein lies the appeal of the 50's housewife, right? For lore tells us of a woman rich in grace and beauty, who keeps a spotless house, has 2.5 children with impeccable manners, a husband who adores her, and he with never a wrinkle to be found on his clothing, in addition to her being cultured. She may not use Latin or French every day, or even on most days...but the one day she needs to partake in the witty repartee of her husband's business associates and their spouses, she can do so with ease. Now that is something to aspire to.
The kind of society we should seek is that which stimulates us to express ourselves verbally, that spurs our intellectual processes, that makes us want to achieve our own ultimate (p. 467).
Our own ULTIMATE! What a fantastic concept. To just be the best we can be, stealing the Army's once famous motto. When I get tired and just down and out about my lack of 50's housewife skills, I can remember the goal is truly - to achieve my own ultimate. Even if I completely fall short of perfect (which, let's be honest - not even June or Margaret can call themselves that), I will still be a blessing to my family by striving for my personal best. And, as a writer and lover of literature, it brings me great pleasure to share some of Amy's list of familiar words and phrases from the language that's dead to the world, but not to us housewives...Latin!
ex cathedra - usually used in connection with a pronouncement from the Pope. Literally, "from his chair" or "officially."
ex libris - (among) the books (of), a bookplate with the owner's name, coat of arms, etc., to be pasted on the inside cover of a book
habeas corpus - a writ or order permitting a prisoner to be produced at a stated time to determine the court's right to detain him. This is a phrase beloved by crime reporters and mystery writers.
You see? Before today, I thought habeas corpus was just a line from Legally Blonde. We're learning so much already, aren't we?!
ipso facto - by the act itself
mare nostrum - our sea. A phrase used politically by the Italians to indicate the Mediterranean. And a phrase particularly liked by editorial writers.
A word of caution here, fellow housewives, if I may. I'm guessing it wouldn't go over well in the world for Americans to start referring to the Atlantic or the Pacific as mare nostrum. Just a thought!
multum in parvo - much in little
And that's where we'll end the language lesson for today. I hope you were all taking notes, housewives. The lesson within the lesson that Amy should wish to impart is that the learned housewife is the happiest housewife. Until next time, Valete! And if you don't know what that means, I'm afraid you'll have to look it up to get the joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment