Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No Rest for the Weary Wife

The time has come...to say goodbye...to a favorite ritual of mine.
The daily nap.
My son has recently switched from two naps to one and it has not been a very easy transition! He's doing fine now, but there were a few days last week where my husband couldn't get home from work soon enough because I was exhausted and my poor little non-napper was, too. Finally, I figured out it was a combination of being ready to switch to one nap a day, and the dreaded teething once again.
However, when I say farewell to the siesta, it's not his I'm talking about. Hopefully he'll keep that up until he's 3 or 4! It's, well...my own nap I'm having trouble parting with!
Go ahead, judge away - but it's tiring chasing a 13 month old, and keeping non-edible items out of his mouth, and getting your finger bitten several times a day, and on and on! I get up at 6 and on good nights get to bed around 10:30 - it's been so lovely to have a nap almost any day I want one.
But this 50's housewife life is a work in progress - and as I progress...or start to see less progress than I would like - I see it's probably only going to improve if I'm willing to part with my beloved nap. I couldn't even find time to make my mincemeat yet and that post was well over a week ago! If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it all the way.
Wish me luck - and better wish my husband luck, too! I can imagine I'll be far less pleasant to be around sans-nap. If things get too out of control, Amy Vanderbilt has this advice:
A tired mother needing a bath and a nap might employ a baby-sitter to watch the baby in the playpen, sandbox, or nursery (p. 321).
Well, at least it's comforting to know that 50's housewives weren't robots after all...they got tired, too. That makes me feel at least a little better about life!

No comments:

Post a Comment