Saturday, February 26, 2011

Country Apple Dessert

We had some friends over for dinner last night and I thought it would be fun to try out a 50's recipe on them. Unsuspecting guinea pigs, they were. I don't think any of them even know I am writing this blog, with the exception of my husband. We kept the dinner very simple, as Friday night dinners should be. My husband grilled out BBQ chicken and we had french fries to go with it. The 50's portion came at the end of the meal - country apple dessert.

I found this recipe in Successful Entertaining at Home and it, too, looked surprisingly simple and so, perfect for a Friday night. The recipe is:

To serve 6:

1 No. 2 can sliced apples (canned in sugar syrup)
butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream

One more apple dish - a country apple dessert and here's how you make it. Place sliced apples with the sugar syrup in a small, shallow baking dish and dot with butter. Mix sugar, freshly grated nutmeg, and heavy cream. Pour over the apples. Cover the dish and bake in a moderate (350 degree F) oven for 30 minutes. Uncover the last 5 minutes of baking time. Serve warm.

I was a little concerned that my apples may have been Number 1 or Number 3, as opposed to Number 2 (I have no idea what that means), but they were the canned kind in syrup used for apple pie filling so I figured they would work. I had to use 2 cans (so the number 2 did come into play at some point) in order for there to be enough to serve 6.

I think it was a hit, although I realized late in the game I didn't have aluminum foil to cover the baking dish...so uncovered it went, into the oven. It was basically like baked apples, which is a favorite of mine, and this was much simpler to prepare. Of course, I cheated a bit by not grating my nutmeg freshly. But it's all the same right? Anyway, it tasted good and hit the spot after dinner. I have to admit I was a little disappointed no one shared either my love of coffee or the 50's way of serving dessert enough to indulge in after dinner coffee with me. And, to avoid my caffeine addiction coming to light, I try to avoid drinking alone.

That's all I've got for today...the little one is teething and needs a cuddle from mama. Ah, now there's something that I imagine transcends all decades.

2 comments:

  1. You totally cracked me up on that one! I guess in raising you, I didn't mention that a #2 can is a size of the can. It goes like this:
    #1 size can is 1 1/3 cups
    #2 size can is 2 1/2 cups
    #3 size can is 4 cups
    (I did have to google the cup size of the cans)
    Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks, Mom! Better late than never on that wisdom!! :)

    ReplyDelete