Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Very Important Occasions

It dawned on me today that this Saturday, my little boy is going to be 9 months old. Such a far cry from the tiny little bundle we brought home from the hospital in May. He's now a wiggly, smiley, giggly boy and he brightens our life so much. I keep thinking about how time has flown so far (as my mother warned me it would) and that in only a few more months he will be a year old! Honestly, it doesn't seem possible that it's been almost a year - and at the same time, I can hardly remember what it was like not having him around. We are so blessed to have our little man.

A few of my friends have been asking if I am planning on throwing a birthday party for Josh on his big day. My response has always been, "No, we'll probably just invite the grandparents to come out and keep it simple." I just don't see the need to go crazy planning an elaborate birthday party for a one year old. However, I do think it is a day worth celebrating. And a hip 50's lady just so happens to agree with me.

In her book, Successful Entertaining at Home, Carolyn Coggins addresses the proper way to throw parties, get-togethers, barbecues, and just about everything else under the sun, including children's parties. Here's what she has to say on the matter:

Every child should have a birthday party every year - even if only one little friend is present - to make the child feel that this is a day of value to the family because on this date he became one of them.

I don't think there is any better way of putting it, really. What a thing to celebrate! My husband also says it is necessary to celebrate the fact that we kept a human alive for a whole year. And trust me, for as difficult as it was at the very beginning, that is a near miracle!

While Ms. Coggins gives several good suggestions for parties for older children, she also addresses the idea of a party for "little tykes":

Perhaps the best thing is not to give a party for babies, but many times young mothers like having parties for them - especially birthday parties. If you do this, then by all means be sure an adult is coming along to watch over her offspring. And limit your guest list to a few mothers with their toddlers. Then hope for the best.

I love that last part. She also suggests serving milkshakes in mugs with "cooky figures" (it took me a minute to figure out that she is referring to cookies, and not misspelling kooky) or "gingerbread boys." She says mothers might like a cake but cookies are easier for the kids to handle.

I think for now the plan is to invite some close family, but it will probably be a very small gathering. We'll have cake and some light refreshments, and just celebrate the year. I am planning on asking relatives to write a note to Josh in lieu of a gift. I want to collect all the notes and give them to him to open for his high school graduation. I hope that will be a special present for him when he becomes a man, and we have celebrated 18 years of life with him. I realize it will be here before I know it, and I fully intend to enjoy every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment