Sunday, February 20, 2011

What to Know about Vino

I have a confession to make: I love wine. Don't get me wrong, I'm no alkie. But I just love a glass of wine with dinner or after dinner. If I could, I would have a glass a day - and on vacation, I do. It is my alcoholic beverage of choice, no matter where I am or what the occasion. Sure, the girly drinks are tasty and cute (who doesn't love a cosmo every now and again?), but there's just something about wine that is classy, elegant, and meant to be savored.

So as I sip a crisp glass of pino grigot (my favorite), I can think of nothing better to blog about than wine, and what every good 50's housewife should know about it. I must say I'm pleased it is mentioned at all, and exceedingly pleased that Carolyn Coggins devotes a section of her book to wine, as to how it should be served and enjoyed. For starters, Ms. Coggins suggests that it is not necessary to stock a zillion different types of wine glasses. In her own words:

Although your society grandmother may have had thirty-some different kinds of glasses for serving everything from an apertif to a liqueur, she had rows and rows of cupboard shelves for their storage and a staff to whisk them in and out. The illustrations showing different glasses for serving various things will interest you only if you are likewise ensconsced amidst the spaciousness of the past (p. 161).

Yes, I did just look up the definition for "apertif" on Merriam-Webster.com. An alcoholic drink taken before a meal as an appetizer. I didn't even know that was an option! Is that in addition to some light apps? Because who doesn't love a fine wine with a nice cheese and cracker plate? I think I'm definitely going to be a hostess who offers apertifs. And I think I might bring the word apertif into everyday conversation when possible. People will think I'm so classy. Like my beverage of choice.

Also, I must give Carolyn credit for being a woman who was probably ahead of her time. I don't know what her situation was, but I would hardly describe myself as "ensconsced amdist the spaciousness of the past," not only because I don't often use the word ensconsced, but also because in my house we find ourselves more cramped amidst the confines of our teeeeeny home. We hardly have room to walk when my son's swing, exersaucer, bumbo seat, and various other toys are out in the living room. So do we have room for shelves upon shelves of wine containers? Not a chance.

For the rest of us - which is the majority - the four-ounce stemmed glass is suggested for serving all wines. In it, pour two ounces or less of an apertif or dessert wine, or fill it when table wine is served.

It's nice to know I'm in the majority. One thing I'm curious about, however, is how you know when you've reached the "two ounce" mark. I could probably estimate a cup rather effectively, but that is what we like to call a healthy pour. I literally just asked my husband "If there are 8 oz. in a cup...that means that....2 oz. is 1/4 a cup...right?" Hmm...it might be time to put down the pino, Cath.

One thing I'm noticing is that the pours seem to have been a bit smaller in the 50's. For me, if I'm planning on having about a 1/2 a cup (4 oz.), why would I pour only 2 oz. to begin with? I feel I would be saving myself a trip to the kitchen and feel less like a lush if I only have "one glass," using my definition of it.

Too bad I didn't read this before I poured the pino tonight...into a stemless wine glass, to boot. I guess I'm learning more and more every day how much I have yet to learn about being a 50's housewife and hostess with the mostess. So, ok, I won't feel inadequate for having 6 total wine glasses in my house (4 without stems) and I'll start pouring less into each glass...starting.....now....

And by now I mean tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love the healthy pours... try working 65 hour weeks... the vino is my only hope at the end of the night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine! Cheers from afar until I get to see you kook!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete