Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy Wardrobe Essentials Day!

I am giddy with anticipation as I write today's post. Tomorrow, I am taking a long awaited trip to the mall with my mom, my sister, my little boy and my nephew. Strollers will not hinder the shopping that will happen. Nor will the comments from passer-by about how cute our babies are slow us in the least. We three girls and our two little boys are about to embark on something I like to refer to as: Power Shopping 2011.

Perhaps that's being a little dramatic. But we really are going shopping tomorrow, and I think it's safe to say I'm more than a little eager. You see, I can't even remember the last time I went shopping for myself at the mall. I'm almost positive it was before my son was born in May. That's over NINE MONTHS, people! And for someone who loves to shop as much as me, it has been a true discipline to steer clear of that beautiful, sky-lighted, multi-story building known as the mall.

I probably won't be buying much, but I think I will allow myself one little thing. Hey, I went back to work recently - it's only right I should reward myself with something, right? I can't wait! But to ensure I don't go overboard and that I make the most of my purchase (singular, keep it singular), I have enlisted the help of Good Housekeeping's Guide to Successful Homemaking. There is plenty of great advice for shopping for women's clothing. I will list some of my favorites here:

1. Make a list at home - Know what you want before you shop. Consider the type of life you lead, the money you have to spend, the articles you need as against those you merely want.

Whoa, they have my number. I am quite the list-maker. And if I'm forced to make a list for the purpose of 50's living, well I guess that would be ok. However, the type of life I lead is one where I get pooped on and peed on occasionally, and the money I have to spend is, well, limited at best. I'm beginning to think I should be switching the location of the shopping trip to Salvation Army...

2. Buy twice a year for the main items of your wardrobe - Make a list in March and in September for the next months.

YES, it's MARCH 1st tomorrow! This was truly meant to be. I'll make the list tonight (a short one) and buy "the main items of my wardrobe" tomorrow. Oooh, maybe this means I can talk my husband into a little more buying since this will be one of two annual shopping trips for wardrobe essentials.

3. Don't go shopping with a group of friends - Or even with your best friend, unless you consider her taste so much better than your own that you are willing to follow her advice.

Um, no. Shopping is so much more fun with friends - especially my mom and sister! They will give me their truly honest opinions and maybe...just maybe...help me stick to the list. And, maybe, just maybe...they will defend my purchases to my husband for me.

4. If your budget is limited, buy things you can wear for several years -A well-made tailored suit or coat, bought with common sense and restraint, can be worn, with minor alterations, for five years. Good material will last that long.

So apparently I'm not the only one with a limited budget. And this is just giving me fodder for my "presentation" to my husband about why I bought what I did. Don't get me wrong, he's no tyrant. Our budget is just literally that limited.

5. Never lose sight of yourself - Be the complete egoist. Visualize yourself in the clothes you are buying.

Hmm...this shouldn't be too hard. Especially with the help of those new-fangled things called mirrors.

6. Never buy anything just because it is cheap -Look for fabric labels, good workmanship. Always it is better, when buying tailored clothes, to buy the very best you can afford.

So...limited budget...don't buy just because it's on sale...I think the message is ultimately to buy things that are quality so you only have to buy them once in a while. There's nothing worse than buying something and having it wear out or get a hole after wearing it once. But price doesn't always suggest quality, so I'll have to consult my posse for that. See, it's a good thing they'll be there?!

7. Think before you buy novelty gadgets - When something comes into fashion publicity that is fantastic, be wary of it. No matter how stylish a fashion or trend may be, wear it only if it suits you.

I'm not really in the market for any "gadgets" per se, but who hasn't suffered from a case of buyer's remorse when they buy something that's "in," wear it once or twice, and in the blink of an eye it's "out." I tend to hold on to clothes for a looong time, so this has been especially painful for me at times...the eyesores still inhabit my closet and taunt me every time I see them.

8. When you buy dresses, coats, or suits, take time to have them fitted carefully and altered if necessary - It is a rare figure that does not need some slight alteration in a ready-made.

I thought we were talking about saving money! Sorry, but the ready-mades are going to have to work for me. I will just have to be ultra-careful in the dressing rooms and take my time to make sure the fit of anything I buy is just right.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm going to have a 9 month old with me! I'll be lucky to get a quiet moment in the dressing room at all! Too bad he can't talk yet...it would be nice to get a guy's opinion on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment